Sunday, December 02, 2007

Let it snow

A very busy weekend at the UrbanDaddy household has been capped off by a lot of snow (and now rain) around the house. I love to get out and shovel first thing in the morning but figured it might not be a good idea to leave two children in the living room to play together while I shoveled and UrbanMummy worked on her assignments. I left it, but checked it often to make sure it was still there... It is.

Once again the old adage, "Bad news comes in threes", came true on Sunday as The Happy Boy fell at a birthday party this morning splitting his lip, I found out my sister's budgie is dying (man, she loves that thing), and my Uncle (my late father's brother) has cancer. Bad, bad, bad.

The Happy Boy incident happened at a birthday party when my son decided he could ride a riding car off of a wooden platform but failed to consider that when the front of the car hit the floor, he would go - face first - into the steering wheel, splitting his lip. Fortunately, he did this in front of 2 good friends of ours - both doctors - who were able to examine him and gently let me know that he was alright, before telling me why I should be concerned that he wasn't alright. When they handed him to me his face from the nose down was covered in blood, as were his hands. I thought his teeth had been knocked out or had gone through his lip.

Turns out he just split the inside of his lip with his teeth and once in the arms of Mummy and cleaned up, he soon realized crackers were more interesting to him than sympathy and off he went to play and eat. That's my boy! Tough as nails. Just like Daddy who has played ball-hockey with bruised ribs, a separated shoulder and numerous knee injuries.

As for my uncle... I have three uncles, two on my mother's side that I no longer talk to and one one my Dad's side (he is 13 years older than my Dad) and once my Dad passed away, I found that being around this uncle really brought back memories and made me feel comfortable. To find out today that he has cancer and was not well was very upsetting for me because I'm not sure I am mentally prepared to say goodbye. I may not always have the opportunity to see my uncle but knowing that he is there and that I can always ask him questions about my family or my father was very comforting. Losing my grandfather just days after returning from a heritage visit of sorts to Poland was disappointing and this would be on par. Although my uncle is 82 years old, he shows very little sign of his age except for being bow legged because he doesn't want to undergo knee replacement surgery (pain and fear) and the fact that he votes Liberal. He makes a great apple pie, loves to talk politics and reminds me of my Dad in so many ways... It's eerie. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Other happenings:

I've had to call on my few blogger friends to help with some seasonal issues, like whether Santa exists or not. You see, were are Jewish and do not celebrate Christmas, so essentially, Santa does not exist to us, and my son wanted to know why. For this, I have sub-contracted Laural of The misadventures of (pregnant) mommy Laural. http://lauraldawn.blogspot.com/ I'm sure there will be more issues relating to the tooth fairy, where babies come from and the Easter bunny... Loads of fun. I encourage all of you to comment with your tips, hints, techniques and thoughts... All comments are welcomed.

I also found out this Sunday that I do not finish my MBA December 7th as I previously mentioned, but rather that is the ending date of my business strategy class. On the 7th I get my final exam for Corporate Finance, then have to bust my ass to complete it, and do well. Class ends December 17th... Whew. I can't wait. There is a list a mile long of things to do in the house.

P.S. Anyone have a great Hanukkah idea for m'lady? I'm stuck! Everything she wants she orders online after memorizing the credit card number.

1 comment:

Polgara said...

I sympathise with your bad news, we have been going through cancer treatment with my Father-in-law for the last six months.
He's doing fine though and my husbands grandmother beat breast cancer at 81 and is now 89 and still clear!
It's hard not to think doom and gloom when we hear the word cancer but you never know he may be ok!