Monday, December 17, 2007

I am SO done...

I am.

Finished. As of 2am last night/this morning when I emailed my Corporate Finance exam to my professor. My last exam. My last course. I'm done. I'm finally done, after three long years. I'm done. I registered for business school one week before The Happy Boy was born in 2004. A couple people suggested to me that there is no way that I would be able to see this through to the end. To them, I laugh. I did it. Now all I need is another kick-ass mark on this exam, an acceptable mark in this course and then its just a short wait until I receive my Master of Business Administration. Finally. So how do I treat myself today?!? I didn't. I was a pallbearer at the funeral of my Uncle, whom I mentioned a few posts back, had fallen ill with cancer. I'll miss him because whenever I missed my dad (13 years younger than him) I always knew I could talk to or see my Uncle and he'd remind me of my Dad or talk to me about stuff they did growing up. That option is no longer available. Another thing that dawned on me is that with my Dad, Uncle and their parents gone, the next generation is myself and my 2 cousins. One cousin has all girls, but between 2 of us, we have 4 boys and still know very little about our heritage short of a few stories told here and there. It's kind of surreal.

In both one of my best and worst moments in recent memory, I was thankful to have my wife there to keep me honest, and for that I owe her a lot. She stood beside me through 3 years of classes and assignments and while she didn't always appreciate the late nights and frequent classes, I know deep down inside she wanted this for me as much as she wanted her masters degree that she got not too long ago. She just has trouble showing it sometimes. I'm proud of her.

So besides an obvious lack of sleep - Saturday night got about 2 hours sleep - I've been thinking about life after MBA and I have a lot on my mind. Some of which include:
  • A white Christmas. While I don't celebrate it, per se, I like a white Christmas. With all this snow we have and the possibility of more coming, I think it's a lock. Merry Christmas to you all.
  • I want to take a cooking class, or classes. My father-in-law said he wants to take them with me too. Really? He also quit smoking 3 weeks ago. I'm so impressed. Good on him.
  • I got re-assigned at work starting today - ho hum.
  • I hope the tech company that I have been consulting with manages to get moving forward so I can further develop the Finance role I utilize for them.
  • I'm updating my blog - soon to read others - and both my kids are coughing in bed. It's just past 11pm and I wonder if I'll be able to get more than 6 hours sleep tonight... That would be a huge treat. :)

Time to finally get ready for bed before 2am. It's been three long years...

4 comments:

Gabriella said...

Yay!

So sorry about your uncle. He's with your dad now.

Here's hoping you get more than 7 hours of sleep tonite!

Polgara said...

Well done! You should be VERY proud of yourself.
I tried doing night classes at the same time as planning my wedding and it just didnt work so i quit,you did it with KIDS!

Tania said...

No more exams! Hooray for you! Sorry about your Uncle though. What a rollercoaster of emotions you must be on.

Laural Dawn said...

Congratulations!!!
That's an amazing accomplishment. I looked into my MBA and couldn't even get through the course descriptions before tuning out :)
I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle. That's so sad and never something easy to go through.

Also, I've always wanted to do some cooking classes.