Monday, October 23, 2006

Large double double (really???)

I hate the Second Cup.

Their coffee is ALWAYS bitter... and at $2.07 for a large, they are another price increase away from bankruptcy. They never have the good flavours - Butter Pecan, Caramelo, or Cinnamon Hazelnut, out, just the crappy Irish Cream (barf).
So as a result... I'd rather walk the extra 8 blocks (even in the rain) to get a Tim Horton's or even the 4 blocks to Starbucks for a Cafe Americano.

My point???

UrbanMummy, when pregnant, loved the Frozen Hot Chocolates (now called skinny chocolate chillers) and as a result, I often went there alone, with her or with the Happy Boy to get her one, sometimes grabbing a cuppa bitterness for myself.

Now the Second Cup near us (on Avenue Road) has a really nice kid working there, with long hair and porkchop sideburns who marvelled one day at the Happy Boy's sign language and more recently his dancing to the live music and talking. A real cutie my boy is.

So would it come to anyone's surprise that tonight as I took the Happy Boy to Shoppers Drug Mart for more diapers, that upon running into this Second Cup employee (out of context, nonetheless) that my son would point at him and say, "Coffee".

Cute, eh?

But there is more.

He then said to him, "Large Double Double". Not once, but 4 times.

After we both chuckled about it, the 2nd Cup guy said, "Do you want a double espresso... ha ha ha", to which my son replied, "Happy Boy no coffee... Daddy coffee".

I love this kid.

Did I mention he learned to say "coffee" and "hockey" on the same day?!? That was a great day in his development.

8 comments:

nouseforaname said...

awwww sweet- coffee and hockey.. Now see my kids think Rick James Superfreak and Mary Jane are nursary rhymes and that the original Halloween is a kids movie. Gotta bring em up evil to off set all this niceness that seems to be Canada. Beware the neighbors.....

Anonymous said...

Great story.

It's always amazing how kids recognize people... when I was looking at family movies from the seventies, my daughter was able to identify my parents (and they look very different; even my wife wasn't sure if she was looking at my mother).

karengreeners said...

the day that bumblebee says hockey and coffee will be a proud one indeed.
did you mind that your adorable son outed you as a timmy's drinker to the second cup guy?

(and ditto on the coffee there. ugh. tho i likes me a chiller in the warmer weather)

Anonymous said...

you've been tagged!

go to my blog for details.

Urban Daddy said...

Shroomie - you mean they are not??? Ever since that episode of Friends where Rachel and Ross sing "Baby got back" to her daughter to make her laugh, I figured all bets are off.

Jeff - that is awesome, eh? Kids see cettain things as they grow up and do not notice all the clutter that we do. They know, for example, what a bird is, and in the middle of a busy street, they see and point out a bird, not seeing the cars, signs, people, garbage, etc.

Penelope - It sure is! One of my proudest days. As for the 2nd cup dude... I tell him all the time his coffee sucks. Just the other day, I complained that the coffee was old and bitter -- he said it was a fresh pot. Yikes!

Jeff (again) - can't wait! After my exams, I'm on it!

Blogstrong said...

hi Urban Daddy
Thanks for the post on my new blog.
Nice to connect with other Torontobloggers.
I'm going to make a link to your blog as soon as I figure out how.
Have a great day

Blog said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Blog said...

Happy Boy is the BEST! So adorable. :)Give him a kiss from the monkey and me!!!